RT Burns Club

*Federation No. 2085*

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > DID YOU KNOW THESE ROBERT BURNS FACTS?

ladyalexandria

FINANCIAL WIZARD: After completion of the Farmhouse at Ellisland he waspressed by the builder Thomas Boyd for payment of £20.00. In June 1791he wrote to Boyd to settle accounts by taking a bill of AlexanderCrombie's for £20.00 in lieu of cash, "Mr Crombie cannot take it amissthat I endeavour to get myself clear of his bill in this manner, as youowe him and I owe you."

SELECTOR OF MINISTERS: He metthe Rev. William Inglis while at Ellisland and attended his Church inDumfries. When asked why, he replied "I go to hear Mr Inglis because hepreaches what he believes and practices what he preaches".

OBSERVEROF INTERNATIONAL EVENTS: On 14 October 1788 his landlord Patrick Millerof Dalswinton had a test sailing of his pioneer paddle steamer onDalswinton Loch on the east side of the River Nth. Many watched fromthe bank, among them Robert Burns. This was the first use of power froman engine being used for human transportation anywhere in the world.The age of transport took its first step and he was there.

BONVIVEUR: A drinking contest took place on 16th October 1789 at FriarsCarse, a truly mighty contest where the participants set out to drinkone another under the table. The winner was to have the Whistle as thetrophy. Burns was there as an observer and records the event in thepoem The Whistle.

FRIEND OF THE LADIES: The saying thathis life was 'a story of barren ground and fertile lassies' has truth.In brief, his situation at Ellisland was:

Marriage to Jean Armour acknowledged and solemnly bound before the Kirk Session of Mauchline on 5th August 1788.

Correspondence with Agnes McLehose, Clarinda, throughout his stay at Ellisland.

Jenny Clowe, Mrs McLehose' maid servant, becomes pregnant and has a baby.

AnnaPark, an employee of the Globe Inn, Dumfries becomes pregnant in thesummer of 1790 and gives birth to Elizabeth on 31st March 1791.

Jean Armour Burns gives birth to William Nichol on 9th April 1791.

The baby Elizabeth was sent to Mossgiel and later came to join the family at Ellisland, to be brought up by Jean Armour Burns.

Burnsmeets Jean Lorimer, Chloris, whose father William took over the leaseof Kemys Hall in 1790. Jean Lorimer was then about 15 and there is nosuggestion that Robert Burns did anything more than admire her finelooks at this time.

Suffice that Jean Armour Burns is reported as saying, "our Rab should habe had twa wives".

THEPOET AND LETTER WRITER: During his stay at Ellisland he produced some130 ~ about a quarter ~ of his songs and poems, and 230 of his 700letters.

THE POLLUTER OF RIVERS: In the Elegy on Willie Nichol's Mare it is quite clear that the dead horse was put into the River Nith:

'But now she's floating down the Nith,

For Solway fish a feast'

Times have changed and prosecution would follow if this was done today

GOOD COMPANY: 'Willie Brewed a Peck o' Maut' says it all

HARDWORKER: To create a farm virtually from scratch whilst carrying out theduties of an Excise Officer was hard work. To find time to write somany letters, poems and songs was amazing.

THEBUILDER'S DISATISFIED CLIENT: Having written to Mr Boyd on 8th February1789 complaining of lack of progress he wrote again on 1st March 1789:"... was a good deal surprised to find my house still lying likeBabylon in the prophecies of Isiah ..."

Ref, Isiah 13: vs 19-20:'Babylonia is the most beautiful kingdom of all, it is the pride of itspeople. But I, the Lord will overthrow Babylon as I did Soddom andGomorrah. No one will ever live there again. No wandering shepherd willever pitch his tent there, and no shepherd will ever pasture his flockthere.'

--

Please support this amazing Petition:

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/robert-burns-international-airport.html

I shall forever support The Legend That is Robert Burns and The Hero That is Sir William Wallace - SCOTLAND THE BRAVE!!  FREEDOM!!!

January 25, 2010 at 9:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Geoff

When you are looking for Ellisland Farm, Friars Carse, Dalswinton and the river Nith mentioned above, then look no further than the A76 trunk road heading north following the Nith from Dumfries to New Cumnock and then on to Kilmarnock. You will find Ellisland Farm and Friars Carse not far from Dumfries but keep going and you will find Sanquhar (Whighams Inn), New Cumnock (Sweet Afton which joins the Nith here), Mauchline (Poosie Nancies, Burns House, Burns Museum etc), Kilmarnock (Burns 1st Edition). All within Burn Corridor as is The ROBERT BURNS INTERNATIONAL.

Cheers, Geoff

--

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/robert-burns-international-airport.html

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rename-Glasgow-Prestwick-Airport-to-ROBERT-BURNS-INTERNATIONAL/228879887216?v=wall

January 26, 2010 at 9:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.